Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

Pride Float


Pride Parades exist to celebrate the history, courage and diversity of the queer community. By Queer community I mean the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgender, Intersex, Quer/Question, 2 Spirited and allies community. Yes, allies are there too. They play such an important role as our friends  and families in supporting us and have done so through the LGBTTIQQ2SA movement.

To me, Pride Parades are an opportunity to be proud of the community that I'm part of and to revel that I live where I have my rights. That it itself is a scary thing for me to think about, had I been born in another time, or in another place, that I would be oppressed, ostracized or even killed for who I am. That has always stricken me as one of the tragedies of this world, but it has given me a greater appreciation of just how fortunate I am to be Canadian.

All around the world, Pride Parades and celebrations are to be found, all bearing scantily clad individuals, rainbows, drag queens and an infectious attitude. These celebrations are an opportunity to celebrate among other things in community, something I never understood until I attended Ottawa Pride in 2011.


The energy was electric and even though I heard "Save a horse ride a cowboy" 20+ times ( I was behind the Gay lime dancers of Ottawa float) it was one of the funnest moments of my life. I was marching with mostly strangers and even then I felt an overwhelming sense of support from my fellow marchers and from everyone watching the parade. It's as if I received the worlds biggest "high five". I had validation from the community at large that I was as much a part of society as they were and I should rejoice in my own individuality! The photo to the left showcases the spirit of the day. Grinning ear to ear, I felt such a sense of community and that's an interesting feeling for anyone who's ever not fit in, to realize that you fit in and that you are accepted for who you are.

I felt that same feeling today in my hometown, Sault Ste. Marie

Today in Sault Ste. Marie there was no Pride Parade, but there was a Pride FLOAT in the 2012 Rotaryfest parade.
With a lot of hard work and rainbows, a trailer was turned into this!


With about 30-40 people marching on and around our float, (and an awesome DJ-Madam D) we made our way not only proudly throughout the parade, but in style! People stopped and looked and they applauded! It was an amazing afternoon and thank you again to everyone who made it possible, thank you to all of my fellow marchers and everyone who worked on the float, you made my day!
Below is a small video of the float.



Much love,
Cam.


No comments:

Post a Comment